AC/ED OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (PCN127)
Work Hours: M-F Days
The AC/ED Operations Specialist serves in a supportive role within the Acute Care (AC) and Emergency Room (ER) Department. The position will support and assist the AC/ER in regards to all personnel scheduling and scheduling requirements, and all operational needs. The AC/ER Operations Specialist works closely with the AC/ER Director assisting with the coordination of communication, special projects and schedules as they pertain to the staff and all the specific operations of the Acute Care and Emergency Departments. The AC/ER Operations Specialist will role-model and exemplify SPH’s Values & Behaviors. S/he will support shared governance practices reflected in unit-based councils.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This position is confidential. The individual in this position understands and supports the overall goals of the AC/ER clinical units, and manages the resources and activities of the Acute Care/ER departments to assist in accomplishing the unit goals. The AC/ER Operations Specialist must be self-directed, able to work with minimal supervision, and willing to accept the responsibility of assisting with the administrative needs of the AC and ED Departments. The Operations Specialist supports safety, quality improvement, and customer service in accordance with state and federal regulations and the hospital’s Patient-centered care and quality improvement program. This individual works harmoniously with other departments of the hospital to improve and strengthen the operational performance of the hospital’s goals. The AC/ER Operations Specialist reports to the AC/ER Director.
South Peninsula Hospital is a 22 bed and Trauma Level 4 designated critical access hospital (CAH) located on the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula. There is a 28 bed long term care facility attached to the hospital. The Acute Care Unit is a Multi-Specialty Medical-Surgical Unit with, orthopedic/spine, Swing Bed, Respiratory Therapies, Outpatient Observation, ICU/CCU, e-ICU/Tele Stroke, Step Down/PCU and the Family Birthing Center specialties. The working environment is generally pleasant, is clean and well maintained. Persons in this position are exposed to infectious diseases, including all types of blood borne pathogens, muscle strains, and generally, physical demands are light and most work is performed inside. Work hours may be varied.
The duties and accountabilities of the AC/ER Operations Specialist are generally defined in this position description. The individual in this position is given the latitude to perform their job duties in a thorough manner while remaining within the scope of their position as described. This individual may make recommendations for changes in operations, general policies and processes.
None. The AC/ED Operations Specialist does not supervise any other position.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
You will be a good fit for this job if…
· You enjoy working for an organization that is growing and challenging the clinical departments daily to move the organization forward.
· You possess a high ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
· You possess a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
· You are able to remain flexible and navigate change with grace.
This individual should have extensive knowledge of computer software applications to include: Evident/Athena, word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (MSWord, Excel, Publisher, Power Point). Able to operate such general office machines as a, personal computer, adding machine by touch, FAX and photocopier. Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing, data entry and proofing materials; establishing priorities and meeting deadlines. Must be able to speak and listen effectively, possess basic problem solving skills, and be able to communicate professionally at all levels of the organization.
EDUCATION / TRAINING / EXPERIENCE:
Must possess a high school diploma or GED. An additional 1-2 years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the diploma or equivalent.
Minimum of three (3) years of office/clerical experience with two (2) year in a healthcare related field.
Working knowledge and use of Medical Terminology. Knowledge of Medical Records/Health Information Management requirements.
Working knowledge of budgets as they relate to purchasing, tracking and keeping patient needs items stocked.
Working knowledge of Collective Bargaining Agreement preferred.
1. Creates staff schedules for Acute Care and ED in consultation with Director and Charge Nurses to assure appropriate staffing needs are met and followed per unit, acuity guidelines and CBA guidelines on scheduling.
2. Sets up orientation timeline and binder for new staff members and schedules orientation and training in conjunction with the Acute Care /ED Clinical Director, and the Nurse Educator who provides for primary support and explanation of orientation and training for all new employees and travelers entering into the
departments. Orients, instructs and assists in on boarding for specific unit needs.
3. Ensures that completed competency and orientation information is on file for all staff.
4. Supports development and on-going assessment, in conjunction with the Education Department and the Nurse Educator, a continuing education program for staff.
5. Maintains in-service/continuing education records, in conjunction with Education Department and Nurse Educator.
6. Supports development and maintains updated competency materials and equipment skill checklists, along with continued educational opportunities and annual competency evaluations.
7. May provided Acute Care/ED Clinical Director feedback as requested on staff performance.
8. Communicates effectively with other staff members. Keeps Acute Care/ED Clinical Director and/or the advised of situations warranting their attention and actions. Demonstrates support of administrative decisions and complies with instituting policy changes, development of the department, and progress for further opportunities within the departments that support evidence based best practices and national standards.
9. Compiles monthly statistics, posts dashboards, Council updates, staff meeting updates and submits them per Departmental and/or hospital procedures
10. Participates in Charge Nurse and general staff meetings. Also participates in at least one other nursing/hospital committee.
11. Remains in close contact and frequent communication with the Acute Care/ED Clinical Director regarding updates on staffing, education or meeting schedules, projects, Unit-based and Policy Councils for departments
12. Performs other duties as assigned.