SAFETY & SECURITY MANAGER (PCN 1149)
Work Hours: Days
The Safety & Security Manager is a leadership position in the Support Services Department, responsible for the training and daily oversight of security officers and the day to day operation of the security program. The position functions as Safety Officer and coordinate Emergency Preparedness Plan.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Safety & Security Manager performs a variety of tasks including but not limited to; assigning work to security officers related to the safety and security of the hospital, including daily rounds, monthly fire extinguisher & emergency station checks, quarterly fire drills, and work orders. The position is supervised by the Support Services Director.
South Peninsula Hospital is a 22-bed Critical Access Hospital with an attached 28 bed Long Term Care Unit and a nine bed designated Level IV Trauma Center. The facility also includes several clinics and office buildings located off the main campus. The Safety & Security Manager may work in all of these areas. The working environment while generally pleasant requires that this person be able to complete rounds, which consists of extensive walking. Working hours are usually during the-day, but may fluctuate, depending on various situations and work load. This position may be called to work at any hour of the day or night to deal with maintaining a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors and staff.
The duties and responsibilities of the Safety & Security Manager are clearly defined in this position description. The individual in this position has the latitude to perform the job duties within these stated guidelines. Questions or concerns regarding the scope of this position should be directed to the Support Services Director.
This position provides general supervision to staff in Safety & Security including oversight of work, training, assisting with performance reviews, disciplinary actions, and employment interviews for security staff. Works in conjunction with the Support Services Director in hiring new security officers.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 4 years total related experience (Security, Law Enforcement, Corrections, Fire and Emergency Services, Military). Demonstrated ability and expertise with conflict resolution & de-escalation techniques.
- Must possess or be able to obtain within 6 months:
- International Association of Healthcare Security & Safety (IAHSS) Supervisor Training Certification
- IAHSS Healthcare Safety Certificate
- Must be able to read, write and understand English; follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able to pass a Job Function Test and meet the physical demands of the job.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must have good communication and listening skills.
- Must have good organizational and decision making skills with the ability to set appropriate priorities.
- Must be able to perform work with attention to detail, be flexible in work assignment and work competently in stressful situations.