BARISTA (PCN 1130)
Work Hours: Varies
The Barista is responsible for preparing and selling coffee drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques for coffee drinks, such as, espresso, caffe latte, cappuccino and other refreshments.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Barista position is a technical position operating within the Nutrition Services Department. The Barista reports to the Manager of Nutrition Services.
The South Peninsula Hospital is a combination 22 bed acute care hospital and a 28 bed nursing home located at the southern end of the Kenia Peninsula. The Barista can be in direct contact with hospitalized patients and health care providers. The Barista is exposed to food, grease, steam, water, detergents and other cleaning chemicals, heat, cold, and noise. There are risks of cuts, falls, burns, back injury due to lifting, and frequent temperature changes. This position requires working rotating shifts.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Must possess the minimum of a high school diploma or GED. Previous barista experience is desirable, but not required. The individual must have the ability to communicate orally and in writing. Good physical and mental health with the ability to lift heavy objects is required. The Barista will maintain a clean, well-groomed and professional appearance.
- Exception reports are accurate, completed and signed within the appropriate scheduled time line.
- Ensure that all food products are covered labeled and dated according to established standards.
- Thoroughly and efficiently clean dishes and let air dry before putting away for storage.
- Store food and supplies per policy Food Purchasing, Storage and Handling.
- Operate cash register efficiently with few errors.
- Maintain a clean work area.
- Maintain strict personal hygiene with regard to daily showers, frequent hand washing, changing of gloves, short nails, clean clothing and appropriate hair covering.
- Appropriately clean equipment when applicable or directed to.
- Review activities calendar for events of food items and supplies that need to be prepared and served in an attractive manner.
- Complete and fill out all required logs and check sheets per shift.
- Must not accept tips. However, may participate in recognition programs as an employee.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.