CLINICAL LAB ASSISTANT MANAGER (REQ 3334)
Work Hours: Days
This is an exempt (salaried) position under the immediate supervision of the Laboratory Director and may also be supervised by the Laboratory Medical Director when appropriate. Under the general direction of the Laboratory Director, the Assistant Manager shall learn how to direct, control, and organize staff and supervise Laboratory services including, but not limited to Chemistry, Microbiology, Hematology, Immunology, Blood Banking, Urinalysis, specimen processing and Phlebotomy. Maintain quality control, Quality Improvement and other measures to comply with all regulatory requirements of the Laboratory. Comply with medical staff and hospital policies regarding laboratory services. At times when the Laboratory Director is not present, the Assistant Manager shall be responsible for performing the duties of the Director.
The Assistant Manager will work closely with the Laboratory Director, the Laboratory Medical Director, and other laboratory employees in order to maintain and enhance patient care services of South Peninsula Hospital based on the hospital’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
The Assistant Manager will relate and communicate competently and professionally with the supervisors and staff of other departments, physicians, patients, state and federal entities, and the general public as an official representative of the laboratory and hospital.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent in Clinical Laboratory Science
- National Registry as Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) by American Society Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or equivalent
- Successful completion of registry exam for Clinical Laboratory Scientist
- Minimum of 5 years full-time experience, preferably in all clinical departments. Past clinical laboratory management experience beneficial.
- Satisfactory performance evaluations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions with attention to detail.
- Strong organization and computation skills for budget preparation, productivity, time card and statistical analysis.
- Computer skills and knowledge in Word Processing Suite.
- Knowledge of state laboratory licensing requirements, federal CLIA regulations and national accreditation standards.
- Able to work independently and delegate effectively.
- Resolve interdepartmental issues that do not require the Laboratory Director’s intervention professionally.
South Peninsula Hospital is a 22 bed acute care facility located on the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula. There is a 28 bed long term care facility attached to the hospital. The working environment is generally pleasant, is clean and well maintained. The position requires a moderate amount of walking, standing, sitting, and the ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Persons in this position are exposed to infectious diseases, including all types of blood-borne pathogens, muscle diseases, including all types of blood-borne pathogens, muscle strains, falls, and needle stick injuries. This person is occasionally exposed to wet, humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, and fumes or airborne particles, and frequently works near moving mechanical parts. This position is occasionally exposed to risk of radiation or electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Generally, physical demands are light and most work is performed inside. Work hours may be varied, but are generally during business hours Monday – Friday.