HEALTH UNIT CLERK COORDINATOR (PCN 1164)
Work Hours: dAYS
The Unit Clerk Coordinator coordinates the activities of the Unit Clerk staff through, training, assisting AC Directors with evaluation of performance, and providing a leadership role for the Unit Clerks.
NATURE & SCOPE:
The Coordinator is knowledgeable of the policies and procedures of the hospital and is competent to perform all duties required of the Health Unit Clerk function. The Health Unit Clerk Coordinator acts as an agent for Patient Accounting and is knowledgeable of Patient Accounting requirements for insurance, identification, and required forms for billing. The Health Unit Clerk (HUC) is well versed in registration and admitting procedures, computer systems, maintenance of the active medical record, credit and collection policies, and receptionist duties. This position provides support to the Acute Care, Patient Registration, Utilization Management, Emergency, ICU, OB, and Surgery Departments as well as providing the admitting function for all types of patients.
The Unit Clerk Coordinator gathers and compiles monthly departmental statistics for ER and OB. The Coordinator also gathers statistical information regarding Acute Care labor distribution monthly which is submitted to the AC Director of Operations for financial reports to the CFO. The HUC Coordinator reports directly to the AC Director of Operations and AC Director of Clinical.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED.
- One year experience as a Unit Clerk required.
- Medical Terminology (or completion of course within 90 days of hire – required)
- Must have advanced computer skills in Word Processing and Spreadsheet Programs and data entry.
- Must demonstrate a Knowledge of Medical Records / Health Information Management requirements.
- Must have receptionist skills, including the ability to deal courteously and tactfully with patients, their families and facility personnel both in person and by phone.
- Must have demonstrated leadership abilities
- Three years supervisory experience preferred
South Peninsula Hospital is a combined 22 bed acute care hospital and 25 bed long term care facility located at the southern end of the Kenai peninsula. The working environment is usually pleasant, but may occasionally become complicated with upset patients, family or staff and critical emergency situations. The position requires the ability to walk, sit for prolonged periods, and bend over. Physical demands are generally light and most work is performed indoors. Work hours may fluctuate based on the demands of the job. May be required to lift items weighing up to 50 lbs.