INFECTION PREVENTION (PCN 329)
Work Hours: Days
The Infection Prevention Nurse assures SPH implements best practices and processes to reduce/eliminate risk of hospital acquired infections; incorporates appropriate vaccination and prevention strategies; and participates in regulatory surveys and surveillance practices. Ensures SPH meets and exceeds all regulatory and accreditation requirements associate with infection control.
Actively participates in SPH Hospital Incident Management Team and any other relative committees.
Works closely with the Employee Health (EH) Nurse and Infection Prevention Physician regarding employee health, exposure prevention and preventative health issues. Expected to act as backup to EH Nurse in his/her absence.
Responsible for developing policies and procedures to ensure rigorous infection prevention (IP) and control standards to reduce the risk of infection to patients, visitors and caregivers. Assures guideline and requirement compliance of accreditation bodies: OSHA; State Epidemiology and Public Health Department; and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This position reports to and received direction from CNO and collaborates with the Employee Health Nurse, Infection Prevention Physician and department managers.
- Demonstrates strong observation and documentation skills as well as computer skills, dashboards, analytical abilities and presentations
- Demonstrates full understanding of patient safety and privacy rights
- Demonstrates ability to maintain critical skills under extreme duress
- Ability of public speaking, community education program development and presentations
- Knowledge of regulatory standards and procedures relative to infection prevention and control, CMS, OSHA and CDC
- Active AK RN license
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Minimum of three years' experience in an acute care setting within the last 5 years.
- Experience and knowledge in infection prevention practices, microbiology and epidemiology preferred
South Peninsula Hospital is a 22-bed Critical Access Hospital with a 28-bed Long Term Care facility, also offering Out-patient Specialty Clinics. Located at the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula, South Peninsula Hospital has an active medical staff of twenty-five members, including five surgeons, and a large consulting staff. The working environment is generally pleasant, clean and well maintained.