MEDICAL ASSISTANT - FLOATER (PCN 321)
Work Hours: 40 hours between 7:30 am and 6:00 pm
South Peninsula Hospital is a combined 22 bed critical access hospital and 28 bed long term care facility with a nine bed Emergency Department located at the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula. The environment is generally pleasant, clean and well maintained. The position requires walking, sitting for prolonged periods, stooping, and standing. Generally, physical demands are light and most work is performed inside. Working hours may fluctuate based on the demands of the work.
Under general supervision in an outpatient clinical setting, provides initial patient triage, registration, and administrative services, assists with direct patient care, and performs specialized medical procedures of a routine nature, as dictated by established clinical protocol. This position will perform Medical Assistant duties on a floating basis, rotating between Homer Medical Center, the Orthopedic Clinic, Specialty Services, and other areas as assigned by the Clinic Manager or their designee(s).
- The qualified individual shall possess the core competencies to complete the tasks given.
- This individual must have a working knowledge and experience with computer applications, be detail orientated, and able to multi-task.
- Demonstrated use of clerical software programs, including but not limited to Microsoft Word and Excel are necessary qualifications for this position.
- The ability to type, edit, and proofread work are essential skills for this position.
EDUCATION / TRAINING / EXPERIENCE:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and be a high school graduate or have a GED.
- This position requires knowledge of clinical standards, practices and procedures.
- Minimum of 1 year of office/clerical experience with one year in a healthcare related field is preferred.
- Prior or current CNA and/or EMT-1, Health Care Specialist, or Medical Assistant certification is preferred, but may be substituted with appropriate experience in a healthcare setting.
- One to two years of previous clinical/medical/hospital experience desired.
- Certification as Medical Assistant helpful. Should possess a working knowledge and use of Medical Terminology.
- Have knowledge of Medical Records/Health Information Management requirements.
- This position requires receptionist skills, including the ability to deal courteously and tactfully with patients, their families, and facility personnel both in person and by phone. Must possess good communication skills, understand chart flow, record keeping, order entry and scheduling.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Core competencies for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with direct patient care procedures and related tasks; check in patients, assist in obtaining patient histories, take vital signs, prepare charts, and assist with medical examinations.
- Perform routine specialized procedures, such as venipuncture, wound care and sterile dressing changes under established protocols.
- Counsel patients pre-operatively, completing all forms necessary to ensure positive outcome and payment of services.
- Complete Preventatives and callbacks as necessary.
- Contact patients after colonoscopies and some other surgical procedures to ensure they are aware of provider recommendations and follow up schedule.
- Educate and advise patients on specified medical issues within established parameters.
- Set up rooms for physician use.
- Cleaning of rooms & equipment after each use.
- Maintain a patient treatment schedule consistent with the department needs, and at the direction of the clinic manager and providers to facilitate efficient patient flow. Receive, register, schedule, and direct patients and visitors as appropriate.
- Maintain appropriate levels of office, kitchen and medical supplies and other materials.
- Prepare surgery folders for all providers.
- Schedule and monitor patient appointments; may coordinate routine office activities and administrative functions in support of unit activities.
- May supervise student employees in specified tasks.
- Maintain clean patient care areas.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.