Mental Health Counselor (PCN 173)
Work Hours: Days
Provide high quality, compassionate and ethical patient mental health services to individuals and families who are experiencing varying levels of difficulties due to life situations or mental health concerns.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Mental Health Counselor will provide high quality mental health therapy to clients as scheduled. The counselor will be flexible and solutions oriented and have the ability to develop a therapeutic relationship with clients across the life span. Must be willing to work as a part of a behavioral health team with other mental health specialists. Possess a positive outlook and view working with individuals and their mental health challenges as a privilege.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Current license as a LCSW in the state of Alaska
- Collaborative agreement as a Counselor with South Peninsula Hospital
- Ability to utilize CBT as a treatment modality
- Ability to teach mindfulness and take a holistic approach to mental health care
- Eligibility to be credentialed and privileged at South Peninsula Hospital
EDUCATION / TRAINING / EXPERIENCE:
- Master or doctorate in Counseling or Social Services in Clinical Social Work
- A minimum of three to five years of experience
- Experience in the treatment of trauma using EMDR is preferable
- Continuing medical education relevant to mental health care services
- Ability to type and record accurate and comprehensive notes in patient records with an electronic health record system
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, but also collaboratively within a team environment
Homer Medical Center/South Peninsula Hospital is a combined 22 bed critical access hospital, 28 bed long term care facility, orthopedic, mental health, and family practice clinics located at the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula. The environment is generally pleasant, clean and well maintained. The position requires sitting, interviewing patients, and typing for prolonged periods. Generally, physical demands are light and work is performed inside. The Counselor is exposed to people in pain and under stress, people of all ages with variable communication abilities, and the Counselor must be able to adapt to the dynamics of a variable patient schedule. Hours worked may include evenings or Saturdays to accommodate patient’s needs and help build a client base.