MT/MLT (PCN 210)
Work Hours: Variable
This position, under the immediate supervision of the Laboratory Director is also supervised by the Medical Director when appropriate. The scope of responsibility is:
- Work closely with other laboratory employees, the Laboratory Director and Medical Director in order to maintain and enhance patient care services of South Peninsula Hospital;
- Perform in all areas involved in pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic testing in the laboratory. Performs testing of high and moderate complexity levels according to established procedures;
- Adhere to quality control policies and perform proficiency testing competently;
- Follow policies related to safety, infection control and chemical hygiene (requires a basic understanding of regulatory requirements as established by the various regulatory agencies such as CLIA, and OSHA;
- Relate and communicate competently and professionally with the supervisors and staff of other departments, physicians and patients as an official representative of the laboratory and hospital.
- Associates Degree in Medical Technology or related field; or Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology or related field
- National Registry as Medical Laboratory Technician(MLT) by ASCP or Clinical Laboratory Scientist( CLS) by NCA or equivalent
- Successful completion of registry exam for Medical Laboratory Technician or Clinical Laboratory Scientist
- Work may include lifting up to 50 pounds
- Work involves lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling objects
- Work involves manual dexterity and coordination to perform phlebotomy, including bending over for extended times
- Work involves manual dexterity to use keyboard for extended periods
South Peninsula Hospital is a 22 bed Critical Access Hospital with a Level 4 Trauma designation and a 28-bed Long Term Care facility and is located on the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula. The Acute Care Unit is a Multi-Specialty Medical-Surgical Unit with, orthopedic/spine, Step-Down, Swing Bed, Respiratory Therapies, Outpatient Observation, ICU/CCU, e-ICU/Tele Stroke, Tele-Psychiatry, and the Family Birthing Center specialties. The working environment is friendly, welcoming, highly collaborative, and supportive.
We invite you to join our team of professionals at South Peninsula Hospital located in scenic Homer, Alaska. As the largest employer in the community, we offer an extraordinary work/life balance, as well as competitive pay and benefits. Our employees enjoy a rewarding career with astounding opportunities for growth and professional advancement, and the ability to explore the natural habitat and beauty of Alaska.
You will be captivated by Homer, a small, charming seaside community surrounded by gorgeous and bountiful mountains, beaches, glaciers, sea life, wildlife, amazing fishing and hunting, and breathtaking views of Kachemak Bay. You will be impressed with the surrounding schools, museums, art galleries, fine dining options, and seaside accommodations.
Let your next adventure take you to Homer, Alaska, long known as the “Halibut Fishing Capital of the World.” Whether you are an experienced professional, or just starting your career, we invite you to explore career opportunities with South Peninsula Hospital. Working at South Peninsula Hospital is not just a job – it’s a career. You will absolutely love it here!