PAYROLL SPECIALIST (PCN 699)
Work Hours: Days
The Payroll Specialist’s primary duties are to maintain accuracy and integrity of South Peninsula Hospital financial records while assisting the general accounting staff and Director of Finance with day-to-day payroll and analytical needs of financial data. The Payroll Specialist should be able to perform all tasks independently.
NATURE & SCOPE:
The Payroll Specialist position is accounting confidential position and plays a key role in the operations of the General Accounting department, working collaboratively with a team of financial professionals. The Payroll Specialist is non-exempt under the laws of FLSA. The Payroll Specialist reports to the Director of Finance.
The South Peninsula Hospital is a combined 22 bed Acute care hospital and 28 bed long term care facility located at the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula in South-Central Alaska. The working environment is generally pleasant, clean and well maintained. The position requires a moderate amount of mobility. The ability to reason, speak and have basic manual dexterity is essential. There is the need to attend meetings and classes both inside and outside of the Hospital setting and to participate in interviews or provide training within the Hospital building. Physical demands are moderate and may include sitting, standing for prolonged periods, walking, stooping and occasional lifting. Most work is performed inside and the work is generally of a positive nature.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: Associates Degree in business or related field required.
- Minimum of four (4) years of payroll related experience is required.
- Additional accounting training/course work preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with computerized accounting systems.
- Primarily performs all payroll functions including but not limited to, payroll process, reporting to various agencies, and electronic transmission of bi-weekly payroll.
- Deals with personnel matters involving and privy to confidential and management information.
- Will be able to back up the payroll functions including but not limited to, payroll process, reporting to various agencies, and electronic transmission of bi-weekly payroll.
- Review audit listings for errors, report errors to Director of Finance, enter corrections for audit listing errors prior to releasing interface journals (payroll, miscellaneous cash) to the general ledger.
- Maintains records, procedures, reports and files in a neat orderly manner for ease of information retrieval through hard copy or scan file.
- Process bills for payments and patient refunds through Accounts payable.
- Maintains accurate financial records for the facility.
- Prepares the following:
- Monthly general and standard journal entries
- Monthly account reconciliations
- Year-end audit schedules
- Assists with the following:
- Accounts payroll and other analyst with job duties.
- Special projects as requested by the Director of Accounting.
- Reconciling of the Kenai Peninsula Borough capital projects on a monthly basis.
- Year-end inventory process.
- Processing patient accounting and miscellaneous cash.
- Acts in a confidential capacity to the CFO whom formulates, determines or effectuates management policies.
- Labor distribution and budget process for management.
- Maintain fixed asset records, and keep assets up to date in CPSI.
- Reconciles bank accounts and preparation of cash proof as required.
- Keeps abreast of all pertinent federal, state and SPH’s regulations, laws, and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
- Works closely with the HR Business Partner staffing travelers to process and complete check requests for labor time sheets.
- Arranges housing and rental car reservations for incoming hospital travelers.
- Arranges cleaning schedule, takes inventory and stocks each apartment prior to the arrival of the next traveler.
- Maintains lease agreements to ensure they are in compliance with the terms of the agreement.
- Oversees the renewal of lease agreements and process through for approvals.
- Processes all related check requests and payments related to corporate housing, traveler expenses and wages.
- Works closely with management, Human Resources Department, particularly on personnel matters.
- Assist accounting staff with other duties and serves as back-up to accounts payable.
- Performs other related duties as assigned which may generate from the Director of Finance or CFO.
- Is able to complete all of the above tasks with little or no assistance from other staff.