PHLEBOTOMIST / CLERK 1 (PCN 970)
Work Hours: Variable
This position, under the immediate supervision of the laboratory director, is also supervised by the general supervisor, technical supervisor, and clinical laboratory scientists when appropriate. The scope of responsibility is:
- To perform phlebotomy and clerical duties as an employee of South Peninsula Hospital, with either laboratory or clinical home base. The clerk/phlebotomist will be cross-trained to provide coverage in the laboratory or clinical base as needed. Assignment of the phlebotomist/clerk to a base when staffing is low will be determined by acuity of base needs and per CBA guidelines.
- The clerk/phlebotomist is involved in pre-analytical, limited analytical, and post-analytical phases of testing in the laboratory or clinical base.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Certification as a medical assistant or phlebotomist preferred
- Experience as a phlebotomist, drawing neonates, pediatrics, adults and geriatrics
- Moderate knowledge of medical and laboratory terminology
- Excellent customer relations skills
- Excellent verbal, written and clerical skills
- Computer skills in order entry , Excel and Word
Able to pass laboratory job function test.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, gripping, pinching objects
- Hand coordination, standing, walking which includes stairs
- Bending over for extended periods of time, reaching
- Keyboarding for extended periods of time
The laboratory is a biohazard environment. Employees must adhere to the laboratory safety plan in the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) when performing job duties. The position requires:
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning)
- Frequent contact with potential biohazards including blood and other body fluids.
- Exposure to potential hazard by a sharps injury, such as a needlesticks.
- OSHA risk factor: Category 1