PURCHASING TECHNICIAN (PCN 754)
Work Hours: 8:00-4:30
The Purchasing Technician is responsible for researching purchasing options, monitoring inventory, placing orders, ensuring timely receipts of goods purchased within the SPH system, and recommends purchases within designated purchasing group organization and authority. He or she will use the software system in place at SPH, and is responsible for accurate and thorough detail entry. The Purchasing Technician represents SPH in dealings with the public, with local and distant vendors, in transactions with SPH staff and physicians as well as the extended campus and medical staff; a position and inclusive attitude is necessary. He or she will also assist in covering the warehouse, expediting, and medical supply when necessary.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Purchasing Technician oversees the day to day material inventory process as directed by the Materials Manager. The position demands intensive and prolonged telephone business, daily contacts with delivery services, the ability to lift up to 50 pounds, and may involve bending, stooping, and manual rigors when covering for other Materials Management (MM) positions. He or she will troubleshoot, correct daily transactions as needed, and ensure the prompt order and delivery of necessary supplies and equipment.
KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration/accounting/nursing/ or basic science is preferred
- 3 years of materials management experience preferred
- Certified Materials & Resource Professional (CMRP) preferred
- Knowledge in inventory control and management
- Knowledge of medical terminology and medical supplies
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- Good record of attendance and reliability
- Ability to operate Materials Information systems
- Strong ability to assess / effectively deal with multiple management / personality styles in daily operations.
- Analytical Skills incorporating statistical/financial/operational/cultural elements into complex decision making
- Proven problem solver
- Strong ability to improvise and be creative in finding solutions to multi-faceted operational situations.
- In depth understanding of group purchasing organization (GPO) principles and practices
- Knowledge of current materials management, purchasing and inventory control principles in hospital and/or institutional environments
- Proficient in the use of current technology, including Microsoft Office products
- Ability to learn and effectively use electronic medical records and other systems and equipment
- Ability to develop processes and protocols and to maintain accurate documentation and records
- Ability to cultivate effective partnerships and work in collaboration with providers, other health care professionals, caregivers, and patients
- Knowledge of purchasing protocols
- Experience in dealing with the public, business and fellow employees
- Skilled in use of computer documentation, FAX, telephone and office machines
- Ability to be flexible, persistent, and thorough
South Peninsula Hospital is a 22-bed acute care facility located at the Southern end of the Kenai Peninsula. Attached to this facility is a 28-bed long-term care facility and Home Health employed Primary physician and specialty providers.
Generally, physical demands are light, but some stooping, bending, and lifting may be necessary. Work areas will be monitored for safety and comfort. Working hours may vary but normally are within daytime working office hours.