RN - Surgical Services (Req #2737)
Work Hours: Days
STARTING SALARY: Pay depends on experience, for example; $40.73 - $43.23/hr for 0-4 years,10 years of experience is $47.27, 20 years of experience is $52.51, and higher for more years of experience. PLUS evening, night and weekend shift differentials.
To provide direct patient care to pediatric through geriatric patient populations, in the perioperative setting as a valued team member and patient advocate. Perioperative duties include, but are not limited to, scheduling surgeries, preoperative teaching to patient and family, outpatient and postoperative assessments. Intra-operative duties to include assistance during IV sedation procedures, i.e.: endoscopies. Postoperative care includes assessments and anesthesia/surgical recovery and assistance.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Perioperative/PACU/Pre-op Registered Nurse will be trained in the scheduling of surgeries, pre and postoperative assessments and anesthesia/surgical recovery, starting IV’s, order entry, charting, IV sedation, communication with other staff members, MD’s and Anesthesia. He/she will be trained to assist in admission and discharge of patients, as well as assist in the day to day coverage throughout the surgical suite as indicated by the department manager. He/she will be able to take Pre-op/PACU call as needed and will report to the Surgical Services Manager.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- The Perioperative/PACU RN needs a working knowledge of anesthesia medications and antagonists with the understanding and ability to skillfully administer pain control medications and be able to titrate doses to outcomes.
- They must maintain BLS and ACLS certification, must be committed to patient safety and possess keen observation and assessment skills.
- ICU, PACU and/or Operating Room experience is highly useful and recommended.
- Must be a licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Alaska.
- Two years of acute care nursing experience is preferred.
- The RN must be able to deal effectively and quickly in highly emergent situations, as well as maintain composure in dealing with all clientele involved in the Perioperative/Pre-op/PACU arena.
- They must be able to teach, start IV’s and demonstrate effective people skills.
- He/she will embrace, support and adopt evidence-based care standards and continuing education that ensures quality improvements and patient safety regulatory requirements for best practices and licensure.
- Accesses and reads practice policies.
South Peninsula Hospital is a 22 bed critical access hospital (CAH) located on the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula. There is a 28 bed long term care facility attached to the hospital.
Homer, Alaska, is a seaside town nestled on the shores of beautiful Kachemak Bay, offering breathtaking views of glaciers, mountains and wildlife. If you are looking for community, adventure, culture, scenery or solitude, you'll find all of that and more here!
We offer highly competitive wages and benefits including: health/dental/vision/life insurance, 403b retirement plan, health and wellness reimbursement, loan forgiveness, generous paid leave and relocation bonus (for applicable applicants). Apply today!